3.03.2018

Big Dreams

The Fighter Verses starting tomorrow are Psalm 37:23-24


The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him;  though he may stumble, he will not fall,  for the Lord upholds him with his hand.
The two previous weeks' verses were Psalm 37:1-4 and 5-8.
Do not fret because of those who are evil or be not envious of those who do wrong;  for like the grass they will soon wither, like green plants they will soon die away.    
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.    
Take delight in the Lordand he will give you the desires of your heart.   
Commit your way to the Lordtrust in him and he will do this:  He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun. 
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.  Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret—it leads only to evil.
As I was doing some reading, journaling, and thinking about tomorrow, I decided to check out the devotional for Psalm 37:23-24.
I am very glad I did.  

The writer then goes on to share "three simple (overly-simple) points" (emphasis mine):  
  1. If you are in Christ you are called to God's purpose.
  2. God's purpose will not fail.
  3. Therefore, all our dreams toward that purpose (God's purpose) will not ultimately fail.
This weekend there have been a couple of challenges but this devotional has reminded me, once again, that God is in control.  The Psalm 37 reminders over these three weeks have been a blessing from God.  
While I don't need to go into the specifics of the challenges, I can share one of the specific things that have been a help.
Reminders from God's Word about who God is.

God's purpose will not ultimately fail.  That word ultimately is a big word in this statement.
Things may not work out the way you planned but if you are delighting in the Lord, the desires of your heart move beyond your short-sighted, temporary plans to God's long-term, eternal, ultimate plans.
I would appreciate your prayers as I dream big for my family, my ministry and my life.  

At the end of my internship at Emmanuel Baptist Church, I remember at different times with different people saying something like "If God has to move me somewhere else for the purpose of His glory I pray He would help me do it even if I don't want to."
God did move us from Emmanuel five years later.  
This past month at West Cannon Baptist, I have been thinking, preaching and sharing about motives and God's glory.
This current month at Emmanuel Baptist Church, they are beginning their missions emphasis month using the book RADICAL by David Platt.  This book has been a blessing and encouragement to me over the years.  I have even posted about it HERE.
God has used the motivation focus, The book RADICAL, and Psalm 37 to help me gain a better understanding of how God is working in my life.

It is my prayer that God would use my life for his glory wherever I am.

God is definitely trying to teach me some things about Him and His plans.  While it is challenging, he is God.

For more about the Fighter Verses go to www.drodgersjr.com/p/fighter-verses.html

No comments: