I know August 7th is officially the midpoint of summer.
But doesn't the middle of July actually feel like midsummer? FYI, July 15 is the midpoint of Meteorological Summer.
I haven't posted an update in quite some time.
This lack of posting is NOT because nothing is happening. Actually, quite the opposite.
|In the "tent" Jadyn and Joel built in our backyard.|
It has been almost a year at Trinity Baptist Church (TBC) has been great. It really is amazing to look back and see how God has worked and is working.
Here is a ministry and family update.
During this past year, God provided many opportunities to begin and grow ministries at and through TBC.
During the school year,
I taught some adult Sunday School classes including Biblical Understanding of Contemporary Issues and Reading Letters Together - Philippians and Titus.
With the help of Rochelle Visser, one of TBC’s supported workers, Krista, Jadyn, some others, and I started an After School Bible School at a public elementary school near the church.
This summer has also been filled with some great ministry opportunities including
VBS (Vacation Bible School) –
A combined summer study using the Fighter Verses, which includes a parents/kids class starting this Sunday (July 10th)
Also, I am going to be speaking at Camp Michawana a couple of Tuesday nights.
We continue to be amazed at God’s great provisions in so many ways – friendships, gifts, encouraging words, and all of these things and more coming at just the right time.
- Joel finished his first year at Grand Rapids Community College. He has taken some photography classes and really enjoys going around Grand Rapids and Michigan to get pictures. He is helping with the children’s ministry at TBC and does a great job with the kids.
- Josiah finished his sophomore year at Northpointe Christian School (NPC). This summer he went on a mission trip to NYC with our church. The trip was a great opportunity for Josiah and the rest of the group to share the Gospel, help a local church’s pantry/meal ministry,
- Jadyn finished 6th grade at NPC. As I mentioned earlier, Jadyn helped with the elementary After School Bible Club. It has been awesome watching her serve there and at VBS.
- Krista finished her 5th year as a para pro/intervention teacher at NPC. She has also been an amazing help and encouragement to me in my ministry at TBC.
While this update has been filled with a lot of great, positive things this past year hasn’t been without its challenges.
- We continue our search for a house.
- Parenting obviously has its good days and bad days.
- As many of you know ministry is filled with amazing blessings and challenges.
- There are the challenges of life in general
As part of TBC’s combined summer study, we studied and memorized 1 Peter 5:6-10.
Here is the passage followed by a prayer you can pray for us.
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, ⁷casting all your anxieties on him because he cares for you. ⁸Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. ¹⁰And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
Here is a prayer based on this passage.
Lord God, you are mighty, perfect, loving, and victorious.
Because you are mighty, help us live a humble life for your glory.
Because you are perfect and mighty, help us remember that your mighty hand will lift us up at the proper time.
Because you care for us and love us, help us cast our worries and anxieties, of life, parenting, and ministry, upon you,
Help us be sober-minded and watchful.
God, we know that you are so mighty and powerful, and we also know that our enemy the devil wants to destroy us.
Thank you for the victory over sin and death we have because of you.
This victory helps us resist the devil and stand firm in our faith, knowing that there are believers all around the world going through suffering and challenges.
Lord, God, restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish us.