Pneumatology - Who is the Holy Spirit?
Parent resources on the Holy Spirit: tbcgrkidz.blogspot.com/2023/06/may-25.html
Discussion time: Wednesday, June 28th, 7:00 pm @ Trinity Baptist Church
Pastor Brett's Sermons on the topic:
- Pneumatology - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/06-22-14PT17.mp3
- His Work Today - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/06-29-14PT18.mp3
- How to Be Filled with the Holy Spirit - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/08-24-14PT20.mp3
- Intro to Spiritual Gifts - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/09-07-14PT21.mp3
- Spiritual Gifts Today - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/09-14-14PT22.mp3
- Sign Gifts Today - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/09-21-14PT23.mp3
Short Statement (TBC doctrinal statement):
We believe in the Holy Spirt – the third person of the Trinity – equal in all ways with God the Father and God the Son that acts in convicting men of sin, indwelling believers and teaching them all things regarding Jesus while graciously gifting believers for ministry through the Body of Christ.
The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity, not a force or thing.
The Bible contains may different names for the Holy Spirit, that describe what he does.
- Comforter – John 14:26; 15:26
- Guide – John 16:13
- Intercessor – Romans 8:26-27
- God – Acts 5:3-4
- Lord – II Corinthians 3:18
One of the tasks of the Holy Spirit is the indwelling of believers (2 Corinthians 6:16; Ephesians 5:18-21; Acts 6:1-7). Ih a children's book called The Holy Spirit,part of the Big Theology for Little Hearts, indwelling is explained as "The Holy Spirit living within God's people, helping us to walk in a way that is worthy of God."
As it relates to spiritual gifts, there are four different sermons linked above related to signs gifts, and spiritual gifts. Ultimately, remember the use of gifts is for the edification of the body.
The use of gifts should never be seen as superseding the revealed written word of God in Scripture
Why is it Vital to our Daily Lives:
- Without indwelling Holy Spirit – living the Christian life is impossible.
- We control by choosing who we allow to fill (influence) us whether we are growing more Christ-like or not.