Happy Fathers' Day! Today's lesson is on God the Father!Question: Who is God the Father?
- Evidence of God's Existence -
- Nature of God
- Attributes of God Part 1
- Attributes of God Part 2
- Attributes of God Part 3
- Attributes of God Part 4
- Sovereign Rule of God or Why Bad things Happen to Good People
Families, for resources to talk with your children about who God is, go to tbcgrkidz.blogspot.com/2023/06/may-18.html
Short Statement (TBC doctrinal statement):
We believe in the one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
In this week's study we definitely need to remember the guidelines presented the first week and on the tables each week.
This study is Biblical AND Practical
This study is Introductory, not exhaustive. Very Important this week.
This study is to Honor God, not impress others.
This study is for the adoration of God, not just information for man.
This study is for edification and encouragement.
Think about the many different ways a class about God could go.
The nature of God
The attributes of God
The works of God.
The hard-to-understand aspects of God.
Erwin Lutzer wrote a book entitled "10 Lies About God: And the Truths That Shatter Deception." .
The first three chapters of Genesis could be a full 12 weeks or more study of who God is
How long would a class be to fully cover who God is? 1 class? 12 classes? 52 classes?
No number of classes could cover everything there is to know about God. At the heart of tis week's lesson, and really every week's lesson, is to merely scratch the surface of a topic to get each of us a very basic understanding of who God is and grow in each of us a desire to know him and love him more.
For an in-depth Bible study on Theology Proper, check out Knowing the Living God by Paul Washer. Forty-seven different chapters. Chapter 2, "Knowing the Living God," begins with carefully considering what Psalm 105:4-5 says. Washer goes on to write "We are not to be casual or apathetic in our pursuit of the person and the will of God, but determined and active - even ambitious."
Here are eight summary truths the book contains about the Trinity
- God is one.
- God is three.
- The Scriptures clearly affirm both of these important truths.
- The three Persons of the Trinity are real and distinct persons.
- The three Persons of the Trinity are perfectly equal.
- The three Persons of the Trinity may manifest Themselves in different ways and may carry out different functions.
- The mystery of the Trinity is not grounds for its denial.
- Most illustrations used to explain the Trinity are woefully inadequate.
As we continue this study of theology, let's find contentment and rest in who we know God is and a passion and desire to know Him more and more.
Some additional articles:
- I Timothy 2:5; John 14:26; Genesis 1;
- Incommunicable Attributes: Exodus 3:14; I Kings 8:27; Psalm 90:1-4; 102:25-27; 139:7-12; Malachi 3:1; John 4:24; 5:26; Acts 17:24-25; Romans 1:18-25; Ephesians 1:11; I Timothy 1:17; 6:15-16; James 1:17
- Communicable Attributes: Exodus 34:6-7; 2 Samuel 7:18-29; I Kings 8:22-30; I Chronicles 16:8-36; Psalm 89:1-8; 103:6-14; 139:1-6; Romans 11:33-36; Ephesians 1:11; I Timothy 1:17