Hamartiology - What is sin?
Parent resources on Sin: tbcgrkidz.blogspot.com/2023/07/july-16.html
Pastor Brett's Sermons on the topic:
- Doctrine of Sin - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/01-11-15PT33.mp3
- Why God Allowed Sin - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/01-18-15PT34.mp3
- Every Day Effects of Sin - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/01-25-15PT35.mp3
- Why the Lost Do Good Things - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/02-22-15PT36.mp3
- God's Reaction to Sin - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/03-01-15PT37.mp3
- Why are Those Who Have Never Heard Held Responsible? - https://tbcgr.org/sermons/mp3/foundational-teachings/03-08-15PT38.mp3
We believe that because of sin, man incurred not only physical but also spiritual death which is separation from God; that all human beings are born with a sinful nature, and in the case of those who reach moral responsibility, are sinners in thought, word, and deed.
Keys Passages related to sin our:
Romans 1 - 3 (especially 3:23)
1 Corinthians 15:3,4
I Timothy 1:15
Some important things to remember from the Adult class notes.
"Sin is any lack of conformity to God's will in attitude, thought or action, whether committed actively or passively. The center of all sin is autonomy, which is the replacing of God with self. Always closely associated with sin are its products of pride, selfishness, idolatry, and lack of peace." (JMA)
What is Total Depravity? This is a phrases that is often confused because people think of total depravity as committing the worst possible sins, or at least sins a little worse than any they have ever committed. It actually means that man is incapable of pleasing God on his/her own (Romans 8:7-8; John 15:5). We are not in neutral. We are not a blank slate. The total depravity of man demonstrates the absolute sovereignty of God. Man can do nothing to save himself. God must accomplish all as a gift of His sovereign grace.
The Effects of Sin are Four Fold:
- Relationship with God the Creator - The relationship with God is severed, and we experience his wrath, punishment, and enmity.
- Personal - The sinner manifests shame, guilt, fear, suffering, blame, and death.
- Relationship with Other People - Sin manifests in hatred, strife, anger, murder, and war.
- Relationship with the Rest of Creation - In sin, man abdicated his God-given rule over creation. Creation groans because of man's sin.
The Results of Sin
- While sin promises enlightenment and peace, sin will ALWAYS DISAPPOINT AND NEVER SATISFY.
- Sin will always take you further than you think.
- Sin will always more faster than you image.
- Sin will always cost you more than you can afford.
- Sin will always have an impact on so many other people.
Satan Is Tempting Me (Ch. 17)
You're Not Supposed to Judge (Ch. 20)