last week's sermon - Paul's testimony in Acts 22 (head - what did you learn or were you reminded of, heart - what do you need to be more passionate about, head - what do I need to do)
heard a couple of salvation testimonies.At the end of class we very briefly looked at the life of Amy Carmichael. Here is a link to the Torchlighters resource page - Torchlighters: Amy Carmichael resources.
As an associate pastor, I want to make the most of the occassional preaching opportunities God gives me. This morning I preached this week's Fighter Verses, which connected well with Pastor Brett's Acts 22 sermon last week on Paul's testimony.
Hope in the WHATEVER THINGS is worthless and detestable.
Our lives need to sing of THE GREAT THINGS God has done especially THE GREATEST THING - Jesus, who conquered the grave, freed captives, is faithful in the storm.
Quotes about knowing Jesus shared very quickly in the sermon:
- "To know is more than facts about someone. It is an intimate experience." John MacArthur
- "Sinners must know something to be saved, and they also must know someone intellectually and experientially." Robert Gromacki
- "This knowledge is different from the knowledge we gain through objective academic study, though information is part of our growing personal knowledge of Christ." Thomas Constable
- "Communion with Christ that began at his conversion and had been his experience all the years since then." Expositor's Bible Commentary
- "A believing experimental acquaintance with Christ as Lord." Matthew Henry
- "There is a wide difference between mere head knowledge and experimental thoughts of Christ." J.C. Ryle
- "Knowledge that has to do with personal experience and intimate relationship." Gordon Fee
In the sermon I mentioned Jim Elliot's biography. Here are some resources.
- Shadow of the Almighty by Elisabeth Elliot
- Jim Elliot: One Great Purpose by Janet Benge for 9 - 12 years old
- Jim Elliot: The missionary who risked it all for Ecuador Part of the Torchlighters Series. If you are planning to watch this with children, you will want to preview it. Some parts are intense.
- The Journal of Jim Elliot