Prayer is not one of many different ministries. Pray, a dependence on God, should be part of EVERYTHING the church does. While we should pray for physical needs, the church's prayers should focus on spiritual growth and salvation.
What are some reasons we don't pray? You may have come up with some different ones in your class.
- Seems like a waste of time.
- Lie: Let's get working and doing something.
- Truth: We are commanded to pray. We need to grow in our dependence on God.
- "I don't know how to pray."
- Lie: There is an exact way that I need to pray.
- Truth: Ask others to help you grow in your prayer life. If you aren't sure how to pray, look to the Bible for examples of prayer.
- If God is sovereign, why bother praying.
- Lie: There is no reason to pray if God is sovereign.
- Truth: We are commanded to pray. The purpose of prayer is not to change God's mind.
What would mark a praying church?
- People praying more.
- Harmony and unity in Christ.
- Growing dependence upon God
- Understanding the prayer is not ONE MORE activity of the church. Prayer lies at the heart of all the church's ministry. (The Praying Church, p. 28)
- Individuals praying for each other and asking others to pray for you.
This "We Are the Church" study and last week's 75-year celebration are not meant to focus on Trinity Baptist Church, but on the God Trinity worships. We do church best when we don't look at the church but gaze at Christ (From The Praying Church by Paul Miller). One way to grow in your prayer life is to look at and consider how to pray in scripture.
Here are three of Paul's prayers found in Ephesians for the church in Ephesus.
- Ephesians 1:15-24
- Do not cease to give thanks for God's people.
- Pray that God will give the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of God.
- Pray that believers would know the hope to which he has called you.
- Pray that believers would know the hope, the riches, the greatness of his power.
- Ephesians 3:14-19
- Pray for believers to be strengthened with power through His Spirit and according to the riches of his glory.
- Pray that Christ would dwell in the hearts of believers.
- Pray for the strength to comprehend the breadth, length, height, and depth
- Pray for believers to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge.
- Pray that believers may be filled with all the fullness of God.
- Ephesians 6:18-20
- Pray at all times.
- Pray that words may be given so the mystery of the gospel will be boldly proclaimed.
Remaining We Are the Church Sessions
10/22 The Bible & the Church
10/29 Preaching & the Church
11/05 Leadership & the Church
11/12 Discipline & the Church
11/19 The Gathering of the Church
For every We Are the Church, click HERE
Fighter Verses - www.fighterverses.com
40 Days of Life - https://www.40daysforlife.com/en/blogs.aspx
Prayerful Dependence from Church Ministries Conference workshop March of 2023.
Encouragement to Pray: Prayer Promises from Thomas Hill
- James 1:5 - James 1;5 Image
- Hebrews 4:14 - 16 - Heb 4:14 Image; Heb 4:15 Image; Heb. 4:16 Image;
- Philippians 4:6 - 7 - Phil 4:6 Image; Phil 4:7 Image
- Philippians 4:13, 19 - Phil 4:13 Image; Phil 4:19 Image
- Romans 8:26 - 28 - Rom 8:26 Image; Rom 8:27 Image; Rom 8:28 Image
- 1 Peter 5:7 - 1 Peter 5:7 Image
- James 4:1 - 3