During the first night of this year's Church Ministries Conference, I had the opportunity to lead a workshop entitled Prayerful Dependence on God in Ministry
Here is the description of the workshop.
Prayer is necessary for gospel ministry because Gospel ministry is dependent on God, prayer shows our dependence on God. We can develop the best vision statement, plan to work with parents, choose the best curriculum, and develop an awesome plan. BUT we need to remember that ultimately salvation belongs to and comes from our God. Prayer shows this commitment. This workshop will include teaching on tools for and time to pray for you, your church, and other churches.
Why should we pray? Some people ask this because prayer doesn't seem to do anything. Others ask the question because they say if God is sovereign over all creation, why bother. They are many different ways to answer this question but a very basic, direct one is God commands us to. First Thessalonians 5:16-18 is one place that has this command.
Give thanks in all circumstances
For this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
The following quote by Tony Merida addresses why prayer is hard and why it is necessary.
Prayer is a very hard thing to do because it seems like we aren't doing anything, but it's also hard because it's a humble act. We must humble ourselves before God's mighty hand regularly and cast our cares on Him.
When we view prayer as just another ministry program of the church, it becomes a burden or one of many different options.
However when we understand that prayer for the believer is like breathing for every human. It is absolutely needed for life. It is not an option.
Our lives need to glorify God. Depending upon Him for everything is one of, if not the best way to glorify God. Prayer shows our dependence upon God.
Church Ministries Conference Pre-Conference Video -
- Trinity blog post: tbcgrkidz.blogspot.com/2022/11/praying-with-dependence.html
- Podcast: anchor.fm/truth78/episodes/Praying-with-dependence-on-Gods-sovereign-grace-e188mjo
- Journal - Prayer In Church: www.9marks.org/journal/prayer-in-the-church/
- Journal - Corporate Prayer: www.9marks.org/journal/corporate-prayer/
- Article -Difference Between Families and Soccer Teams: www.9marks.org/article/parachurch-know-difference-between-families-soccer-teams
Quote Graphics at challies.com
- "We tend to use prayer as a last resort, but God wants it to be our first line of defense. We pray when there’s nothing else we can do, but God wants us to pray before we do anything at all." (Oswald Chambers) -LINK
- Prayer crowns God with the honor and glory due to His name, God crowns prayer with assurance & comfort. The most praying souls are the most assured souls. (Thomas Brooks) - LINK
- Prayer is not so much an act as it is an attitude—an attitude of dependency, dependency upon God. (A.W. Pink) - https://www.challies.com/a-la-carte/a-la-carte-march-19-4/LINK
- "To pray rightly, you must make God your hope, stay, and all. Right prayer sees nothing substantial or worth being concerned about except God." (John Bunyan) - LINK
Verse Graphics - wiki.logos.com/Biblia_Verse_of_the_Day_images
Post a Comment