This past Sunday (12.19.21), I had the opportunity/privilege to preach the Christmas message.
The title was A VERY NECESSARY GIFT
The passage was Romans 5:12 - 19. While it is not the typical Christmas passage, it does show why Jesus had to come to this sinful world as an infant who would eventually die on a cross and rise from the dead.
- Because of sin, we all exist in a from-birth state of separation from God, for whose glory we were created and in whose fellowship we were meant to live.
- Because of sin, we are rendered unable. It is impossible for us to think as we were made to think, to desire what we were created to desire, to speak as we were designed to speak, and to behave as God intended us to behave.
- Because of sin, we are in a constant state of delusion. We think we know ourselves well, but we don’t. We assess that we are more righteous than we are, and because we do, we don’t seek the help that we desperately need.
- Because of sin, we are placed under God’s judgment.
- Because of sin, we are left hopeless.
The FREE GIFT is so very necessary because of what it gives us – THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD!
The FREE GIFT is so very necessary because of its result – ABUNDANT, ETERNAL LIFE.
If this truth of Christmas doesn’t change the way you parent, you work, you relate to others YEAR ROUND, I don’t think you truly understand what Christmas is about.