3.03.2018

Motives and the Great Commission

While this post refers to some specifics about West Cannon Baptist Church, I believe the post will help and encourage those who attend WCBC and those who attend other churches.

At the beginning of February, I shared resources with the small group leaders at West Cannon Baptist Church about talking with their group members about motives.  
One of the big reasons for doing this in February was because of our annual church business meeting.  There were a couple of big items that the congregation was voting on regarding building upgrades and especially changing our leadership to more of an elder-led structure.  There were reasons, motives, behind each of these and other items.  Pastor Doug and Pastor Dave Parmerlee did a great job of leading the meeting and explaining the motives.  Both of these items and others and several other items passed with an over 95% vote.  

As we move forward this year, it is my prayer and I know the prayer of the other pastors at West Cannon Baptist Church that we as a church family would glorify God and make disciples in the Grand Rapids area and around the world.  Whether you were in a group that talked about motives or not, prayerfully remember your life is not sure.  


  • In Philippians 1:15-18 we are reminded that my life is not about my name but Christ’s name 
  • In Philippians 1:21-26 we are reminded that my life is not about my will but Christ’s will
  • In Philippians 1:29-30 we are reminded that my life is not about my comfort but the cause of Christ 
  • In Philippians 2:3-11 we are reminded that my life is not about my interest but the interest of others because of Christ 

Here is a quote I recently saw in Radical Together by David Platt.
Our churches never have to choose between impacting people with the gospel locally and impacting them globally. Disciple-making frees us from having to make that choice. As we lay down our lives to multiply the gospel in the context of intentional relationships where we live, we are always doing it ultimately for the spread of the gospel far beyond where we live. And if we are faithful to Jesus’ command in the Great Commission, we will always be living and longing for the spread of the gospel to all people groups.
Live Great Commission lives!  Not Self Gratification lives!!


No comments: