5.20.2024

Senior Breakfast 2024

At the end of this post, I included two great songs, "Promises" and "His Glory and My Good," that tie this all together.

I want to begin this devotional with a harsh truth.

Seniors, this day is not about you.
Parents, this day is not about your child or you.
This day is about God and his love and faithfulness.



Hello!  My name is Dave Rodgers.

I attended Penn State for my first two years as an undergrad. 

This is my wife, Krista, a lifelong Ohio State fan who was born and raised in Ohio.
Attended Cedarville University in Ohio.

When we moved to Toledo, I learned I needed to pick a team to root for in THE GAME; for family peace, I chose Ohio State over Michigan.

This is our then eighth-grade son, Josiah, a hardcore Ohio State fan who is now...

I am planning to attend the University of Michigan this fall. 

Some things don’t go as you expected.  BUT WE ARE EXCITED FOR JOSIAH!

I want to share another one of those “Some things don’t go as you expected” stories.

In 2017, we moved here so I could take a pastoral position.  Things didn’t go as planned.  In the summer of 2018, I was no longer in that ministry role and was trying to figure out what God had next for me and my family.
Northpointe Christian families and teachers were a blessing and help at that time. 

I want to share one example; some graduating senior guys might remember this. 

Mr. Molda was coaching the middle school boys' soccer team, and he knew the Rodgers family was going through a challenging time, so at practice, he wanted to pray for the Rodgers family.  I am very thankful for the people who pray for me and my family. 

Mr. Molda called Nick Rogers up to pray for his dad, who recently lost his job. 

THE PROBLEM:  Nick is not my son, and Nick’s dad didn’t lose his job. 

This is a picture of Dave Rogers, R-O-G-E-R-S, and 
me, Dave Rodgers, R-O-D-G-E-R-S.

The kids and Mr. Molda recognized the mistake. Mr. Molda called Josiah up and prayed for our family, and I know many teachers and Northpointe families, including some in this room, and others who prayed for our family during that time.

Some things don’t go as you expected.

Whether that is a planned prayer time with a middle school boys' soccer team  OR
Moving your family to a new state only makes things work out differently than you thought.

But remember this: God needs to be trusted and lived for no matter what!!

I don’t want to spend the rest of my time telling family stories. 
I want each of you, SENIORS, PARENTS, TEACHERS, and ANYONE ELSE in this room to remember ETERNAL, ESSENTIAL life-changing truth.

Follow your heart is NOT THAT TRUTH. 
But you will hear it and similar messages in movies, songs, graduation cards, and many other places.

This world will tell you over and over again...

  • Do what you want to do.
  • You be you.
  • Follow Your heart.
  • There is nothing better than celebrating all you’ve accomplished.
  • What lies behind and before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
  • Your future is bright & your possibilities are endless. Best wishes as you follow your own path.

This morning, I want to tell you not to listen to Disney, romance novels, social media influencers, or self-help speakers and preachers.
Don’t listen to the world.

Listen to God and His Word.



Remember Biblical truths like Psalm 115:1

Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name give glory for the sake of your steadfast love & your faithfulness.


Don’t follow your heart.

Let’s pray and submit our plans to the God of the Universe. 
The one who created you.
The one who sent his son to die for you while you were his enemy.
The one who sent the Holy Spirit to help you live for God’s Glory, God’s way.

But you may be wondering, “What do I pray?”  “How do I pray?”

Pray the truth of Scripture.  Pray verses like Psalm 115:1

Not to us, O LORD, not to us,
but to your name, give glory for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness.

This morning and every day of your life, pray.

Not to us, O LORD, not to us,
but to your name, give glory for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness.

Remember, life may seem reasonable and okay when you live for yourself. It may seem fun fulfilling,
However, it can only be truly and eternally good when lived for God’s glory in Christ Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit. 

So, on your graduation day, what is your next step? College, work, a gap year, or something else?

The best next step is to trust in God more.  It is to hope in Christ more.  It is to lean upon the power of the Holy Spirit more.  It is to remember a great Bible verse.

Psalm 115:1

Not to us, O LORD, not to us,
but to your name, give glory for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness.

Now, parents, on this proud day, whether it is your first child graduating or your last child, after 35 years at Northpointe.  If you desire to live out the Christian faith, and I pray that it is, but I know that might not be the case for everyone, I want to remind you what your God-given goal has always been and will continue to be.  I remember a quote from years ago that I keep returning to as a parent and pastor of children and family ministry.


“Our goal in parenting is not ultimately for our kids to get a great education, be great athletes, or find a great husband, a great spouse.  OUR GOAL IS FOR THEM TO LOVE A GREAT GOD.”

Parents, may that be our goal, and may Psalm 115:1 be our prayer for our children and us.

Not to us, O LORD, not to us,

but to your name, give glory for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness.

As we move to a time of prayer, NO, as we move forward in a life of prayer,
 let’s also remember Philippians 1:9-11 and how it ends.

And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.


Promises



His Glory and My Good

No comments: