8.25.2021

Where I Didn't Plan To Go

 


Our family recently chose Isaiah 26:3-4 as a family verse for this next phase of life.  We want to focus on God and trust in Him because He is an everlasting rock.  He has always helped and sustained us, especially during these last 4 1/2 years.  And we look forward to what He has for us going forward.

Sunday night Trinity Baptist Church voted to call me to join the pastoral team as associate pastor of children ministries and Christian education.  I am very excited about this specific opportunity, especially after three years out of vocational ministry.   We are very thankful for the prayer and encouragement from so many different people.

Four years ago (August 2017), we moved to Grand Rapids for a ministry.  

Three years ago, (August 2018), the ministry we moved here for didn’t work out.  

From the summer of 2018 to the summer 0f 2019, for many different reasons, I struggled with what was next for me.  This was evidenced in many different posts and journal entries, including - Be Here Until and A Letter to Those Struggling in Ministry.  A Paul Tripp quote that has really stuck with me is "In grace, he leads you where you didn't plan to go in order to produce in you what you couldn't achieve on your own."  I have been reminded of the truth in that quote so many times over the last 4 1/2 years.  

During the second half of 2019, I began the process of even more aggressively searching for a ministry.  

And then 2020.  Not sure if you knew this or not, but most things in 2020 did not go as planned for everyone.  The ministry search didn't really go anywhere as churches were working through how to get the lock-downs and so many other unique problems.  

The amazing thing is that through these transition times and a pandemic and so much more God has shown Himself faithful and loving.  While there are many ways He showed this, I want to share two.

  1. A job I didn't plan for at an amazing place.  I would have never thought I would have worked in a warehouse for almost three years.  But I did and during my time there I was able to listen to a lot of audiobooks, pick up some new skills, and make some great friends.  I have told my InOnTime co-workers and others that while I did not want a logistics/warehousing job for these three years, I am so thankful for time to work at In On Time, a great company and great people.
  2. A church we love being part of.  After visiting some great churches in the surrounding Grand Rapids area, we began attending Trinity Baptist Church in October 2018.  It was great to be cared for by a church that has great Bible teaching and caring people.  We got involved in different ministries.  I served as an elder.  AND NOW, after almost 3 great years at Trinity Baptist Church, I have the privilege and opportunity to serve here as pastor of Children's Ministries and Christian Education.  I have had tremendous opportunities to do ministry while not in vocational ministry.  I pray I would bring lessons I learned like ministry is not a formal position, it is a mindset to this new role at Trinity. 
I have learned so many things over this time - ministry lessons, differences and similarities between ministry & vocational ministry, Biblical lament, forklift skills, Zoom-etiquette, and especially God's faithfulness.  



Here is the sermon I preached this Sunday for my candidating weekend.  Romans 1:16 and 17.




No comments: