11.30.2017

Chapter 4 of Holiness - The Fight

Sorry that this week's post came up later than usual.




Welcome to the 4th week of reading the book Holiness.
This week's chapter is The Fight.
For general info about the reading schedule go to 

It is my prayer that God is using this book and especially God's Word
to help you grow in holiness.

Here are the questions for this first chapter.

GENERAL (Questions for each chapter)
1.  What is a quote or two from Chapter 4 that stood out to you?

2.  What was something this chapter said about God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?

3. What was something this chapter said about man?

4.  What was something this chapter said about how a Christian is to live?  
Think general and specific applications.

SPECIFIC (Questions specific to this chapter)
5.  What should the Christian do to keep his heart from “going astray?” 
Include the Scripture reference and key point that explains what Christ’s followers do.

FINAL QUESTION
6.  What is the most significant thing that you learned from this chapter?

For more specific questions on this chapter through chapter 10 

Additional Resources:
Tim Challies wrote about this second chapter on his blog
https://www.challies.com/reading-classics-together/reading-classics-together-holiness-sanctification/

1 comment:

Drodgersjr said...

1. "Anything is better than apathy, stagnation, deadness and indifference. We are in a better state than many. The most part of so-called Christians have no feeling at all."
"Nothing makes the anxieties sit so lightly on a man as the assurance of Christ's love and continual protection."

2. In the section "True Christianity is a good fight" the first reason is it is fought under the best of generals. The second reason is it is fought with the best of helps - God the Holy Spirit daily teaches, leads, guides and directs. God the father guards by His almighty power. God the Son intercedes for the Christian every moment. The final reason is it ends in a glorious reward for all who fight - A right relationship with God.

3. Weak as man seems in himself, like a worm, he is strong IN THE LORD to do great exploits.

4. I need to ask myself "Am I struggling hard for the rewards of this world?"

5. General:
Put to death what is earthly in you Colossians 3:5
I need to always remember the seriousness of sin (3:6)
I need to always remember who I was without Christ (3:7)
Put on the things of God. I need to remember who Christ is and who I am in relationship to God.

Specific:
I need to be more passionate, more Biblical and more God-centered in my prayers.

6. If I am not in the good fight, I am living for myself and not God.
I need to regularly check this.