8.09.2013

What I learned this Sunday during the sermon from my kids...


Pastor Duke preached a very challenging sermon Responding Right When Wronged this past Sunday (08.04).  I am so thankful to be part of a church that preaches the Gospel and challenges each and every person to grow.
In this post, however, I want to share what I learned from my kids this morning during the sermon.
First of all, let me provide some context.  Three times a quarter, EBC doesn't have class for the 1st through 5th graders.  The children sit with their parents during the entire service.  We provide sermon note sheets for the kids (Click HERE  for this sheet).  This is part of our goal to equip parents to be the primary disciple-makers in their children's lives.
So here are the three great lessons I learned (were reminded of) during the sermon this Sunday.
  1. My children are not perfect AND ... God uses me and others to help them grow into Christ-likeness.  As my middle child was squirming in his seat and playing with his sandals I was thinking he is not hearing.  And then Pastor Duke mentioned the New King James Version and my son stopped what he was doing and said "That is what my Bible is."  He then looked very intently at the verse Pastor Duke was talking about.  At another point, my son rested his head on my shoulder and pointed to a phrase I had written in my notes.  That phrase was "God gives us the gift of suffering."  Oh, how I want to learn that lesson.  Oh, how I want my children to learn that lesson.  My children need to be challenged to grow by me and others and usually, that is not an easy process.  DISCIPLESHIP IS NOT EASY.
  2. I still have so much growth and learning to do as a parent BUT... I know I have to lead my family and help other families.  I am the head of my family.  I am the leader of my family.  Am I leading my family to grow in godliness?  My responsibility to help other families disciple their children is not merely because I am a pastor at EBC.  I need to help other families grow BECAUSE I AM PART OF THE BODY OF CHRIST.  There are so many challenges in ministry but I need to keep pressing on and depending on the LORD.  Also, I need to remember that I need to learn from others and seek their help.  My shortcomings should not keep me from helping others grow and my pride should not keep me from seeking the help of others.  It is not about me being perfect.  It is about what God is doing in and through his people.  A DISCIPLE MAKES DISCIPLES.
  3. God is AMAZING AND... I need to depend upon him.  In so many different ways there were challenges and difficulties this past Sunday.  After the service, my kids were not little angels obeying every word their father said.  I was not perfect.  But do you know what God is good?  God is holy.  I want people to know Him.  A DISCIPLE POINTS OTHERS TO CHRIST.
SUMMARY:
My children are not perfect and they need to be challenged to grow and usually, that is not an easy process.  Discipleship is not easy.
I still have so much growth and learning to do as a parent BUT my shortcomings should not keep me from helping others grow and my pride should not keep me from seeking the help of others.  A disciple makes disciples.
God is amazing and I want people to know Him.  A disciple points others to Christ.
Parenting is a challenge
Spiritual parenting (disciple-making) is a challenge
BUT it is necessary because we all need more Jesus.

No comments: