Why do a class at TBC on Current Issues?
We live in this world and there are issues. We live in our neighborhoods and there are issues. We work with our co-workers and there are issues. We learn with classmates and from teachers and there are issues. These are things that concern us. Issues are all around us. There are issues because we live in a fallen world.
During this class, we are going to look at issues of race, justice, and life but even more than that we want to look at what God’s word says about how we are to live for His glory in relationships with one another.
So, why do a class at TBC on a Biblical Understanding of Current Issues?
Because the Bible is our authority. We want to focus on the most important thing – God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. We do this for our gospel testimony in the world and for the unity of the church
How is this class going to work?
- Look to the Bible
- Consider the terms and issues. We will not necessarily define and explain every term because they seem to always be changing.
- Think about salvation, sanctification, and the edification of the church
Some guiding principles for this class and life:
- Listen and Pursue Understanding. (
- Glorify God. (Psalm 115:1)
- Build Up His Church, one another. (Ephesians 4:11 – 16)
- Christianity and Wokeness, Owen Strachan
- Faultlines, Voddie Bauchman
- Joy at the End of the Tether, Douglas Wilson. Joy within the creaturely limits is shown through the book of Ecclesiastes. Helpful for gratitude under the sovereignty of God.
- Live Not by Lies, Rod Dreher. Diagnosis of the types of totalitarianism that threaten the West, encouragement to live in truth, and sober stories of hope from Christian dissidents.
- SteeringThrough Chaos, Os Guinness. The second part is a collection of writings on the deadly sin of envy & the corresponding Beatitude of mourning.
- Summary of the first two weeks HERE
- Christianity and Wokeness by Owen Strachan
- Notes - Conference Notes
- Session #1 - What Are the Major Claims of Wokeness?
- Session #2 - How Does the Bible Present Ethnicity?
- Session #3 - Why is Wokeness an Ungodly System?
- Session #4 - How Should We Understand History?
- Session #5 - Questions & Answers
- Session #6 - How Can Christ's Church Find Unity in a Divided Time?
- Just Thinking Ministries: https://justthinking.me/podcast-home/. Episode #108 on Critical Race Theory is very relevant to our class.
- Alpha & Omega Ministries with James White: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_JlmS0xa4&t=4746s At the 33:44, White talks about James Cone and Black Theology
- Biblical Justice vs. Social Justice - Voddie Baucham
- Social Justice and the Gospel - statementonsocialjustice.com
- Debate - Is Homosexuality Consistent with New Testament Obedience?