8.30.2024

New Morning Mercies

Today, I am privileged to be at Cornerstone University's Church Ministry Fair.

In praying and thinking about this opportunity, I pray that students at Cornerstone or any other college will pursue opportunities to grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ, personally and with other believers.

This morning, at Cornerstone, I want to let students know about Trinity Baptist Church and, even more than that, encourage them to get plugged into a Bible-preaching local church. Not just showing up on Sunday mornings but looking for opportunities to be encouraged and to encourage others.

The gathering together of believers reminds us that we are weak and were created for fellowship.

Forsaking the gathering together of believers demonstrates an independent, self-centered mindset.  


Also, each of us needs to seek ways to grow closer to Christ personally. 

This begins with being in the prayer and the Word. 
A help is Bible-centered books and devotionals that point us to Christ.

One devotional book that has been so helpful to me has been New Morning Mercies by Paul Tripp.

Here is the August 30th devotional that focuses on pride.

Grace smashes your pride, but it gives you more reason for confidence than you have ever had before. 

It is a statement of complete assurance and confidence, spoken by a man whose pride had just been smashed. 

Nebuchadnezzar was the arrogant king of the conquering nation of Babylon. He not only had devastated Judah and taken its people as his captive servants, but he had taken implements from the temple to be used as tools of idol worship, which he commanded everyone in his kingdom to render or face death. The extent of his pride is captured by these words: “Is not this great Babylon, which I have built by my mighty power as a royal residence and for the glory of my majesty?” (Dan. 4:30). But while the words were still in his mouth, he was dramatically humiliated by the One who alone has true glory and majesty. By the power of God, Nebuchadnezzar was “driven from among men and ate grass like an ox, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven till his hair grew as long as eagles’ feathers, and his nails were like birds’ claws” (v. 33). 

The pride of the king had been destroyed by the finger of God. We don’t know for sure how long Nebuchadnezzar was in that humiliated, animalistic state, but we do know that when he rose out of it and his senses returned, his choking arrogance had been replaced with confidence. Are you confused at the distinction? Well, read these words and compare them to what Nebuchadnezzar had said before: 

At the same time my reason returned to me, and for the glory of my kingdom, my majesty and splendor returned to me. My counselors and my lords sought me, and I was established in my kingdom, and still more greatness was added to me. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the king of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble. (Dan. 4:36–37) 

Nebuchadnezzar was confident in the position and power he had been given, but the old pride had been broken. You can see this in the fact that what he once took credit for building, he now praised God for establishing. Nebuchadnezzar did not minimize or deny the power and splendor of his reign, but he did not say as he once would have said, “This is from me, about me, and for me.” You see, pride takes credit for what it could not achieve on its own, while confidence stands strong because it recognizes the power and presence of One greater. Only divine grace can lead you from one to the other. 

For further study and encouragement: Ephesians 3:7–8  

"Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God's grace, which was given me by the working of his power. To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,"


 

No comments: