7.16.2020

Immovable God!


Psalm 125:1-2 

Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever.

As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people from this time forth and forevermore.

On Wednesday, I walked into work after a hard Tuesday night filled with a lot of thinking.

50 days until my 50th birthday.  

Working a job that in all reality if you had asked me a year ago if I would still be working, I would have said “No.”  In my mind, I would be in vocational ministry not working in a warehouse.

 Wednesday morning, I walked into my warehouse job and was reminded through Psalm 125:1 - 2 written on a company post-it note that He is trustworthy and loving.

Wednesday morning, I was reminded that while I may not be doing what I long to do as a job, I have a job, especially in these times.  I have a job at a great company that operates on Biblical principles and believes that as stewards it should “utilize each team members talents and resources to earn a profit and then return a significant portion to our community and employees” (www.inontime.com/about-us/)

God has been using this time to teach me and remind me of so many leadership and life principles.  Here are a couple.

I need to work hard, work smart, and trust God no matter what my job is.  

Church volunteers who serve in church and work full-time jobs need to be thanked a lot.  While I pray I did this while at Emmanuel and West Cannon, I realize I should do it more.  The preparing to serve and serving God takes energy that sometimes is not easy to find during a busy work week.

As my 50th birthday approaches, I am prayerfully hoping that God would provide a job in ministry or even education.  I also understand that God has provided a job that helps me provide for my family, glorify Him, and grow as I am stretched in my faith in ways I did not expect.

We would also appreciate your prayers as Krista and the kids start another year at NorthPointe.  Joel is going to be a senior, Josiah is going to be a freshman, and Jadyn is entering 5th grade.

I would also appreciate your prayers as I preach on Psalm 34 at the end of July and the beginning of August at two churches which friends of mine pastor.

A couple of additional thoughts about these verses:

In writing about Psalm 125 in his Commentary on the Book of Psalms, John Calvin said, “Although the world is subject to so many and so sudden changes as almost to put on a new face every moment, and although the faithful are mingled with and placed in the same external condition as others yet their safety continues steadfast under the invincible protection of God.”  

God is my invincible protector in this world that is “subject to so many and so sudden changes,” 

God is the immovable mountain that I rest on!



No comments: