3.26.2020

Ultimate Good

For several different reasons, I haven't posted recently.  But with everything going on in the world and my life right now, I decided to share part of a recent journal entry.  This entry is about a very tough Monday.
I was temporarily laid off at the warehouse.
I also received two "no" emails from churches I had interviewed with.
So today, Thursday, I decided to do some "stay-at-home" time and read, meditate and pray Romans 8:28-39.  For the last month and a half, the Fighter Verses have been Romans 8:28-39.




Here is part of the prayer I wrote in my journal.


God,


I am so thankful that you sent your Son - You didn't spare Him.  Thank you so much for the life-changing fact that Jesus died for our sins - even more than that, thank you that Jesus rose from the dead so that we could have victory.


In seeing and understanding all that God has done for His church, help me to see and be thankful for the ultimate good that has been given to me.


As I think about job loss and the coronavirus epidemic, I need to remember that nothing can separate me from your love.


For God's glory, I am, and we are, going through what we are going through.  Help me remember that.  All of this is serving your purpose, and while I have no idea what that maybe, I do know that you are in charge.


God help me remember this quote from Misused Verses in the Bible...

During times we don't know how to pray about a situation, we have to rely on the Holy Spirit to help us and intercede for us.  But even though we don't always know how to interpret our day-to-day struggles or even know how to pray about things due to our human limitations and weaknesses, there is something we do know:
We know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28).
This "good" is described in Romans 8:29 - conformity to the image of his His Son, becoming more like Jesus.

God, help me to trust you more and more at this time.


I almost wrote "Help me understand what you are doing" but I don't need an understanding of the situation.


I almost wrote "Help me know what to do next" but I don't need action steps.


God, I need you more than anything or anyone else in the world and I need a deeper, growing trust in you.


Amen.


Look at the Book resources:

Romans 8:28 part 1:  www.desiringgod.org/labs/all-things-work-together-for-good
Romans 8:28 part 2:  www.desiringgod.org/labs/do-you-love-god
Romans 8:28 part 3:  www.desiringgod.org/labs/called-according-to-gods-purpose

Note:  This is similar to a post I wrote on August 12, 2018, our last Sunday at WCBC, Romans 8:28 was the scheduled verse for that Sunday's lesson.  This year, Romans 8:28-39 is the Fighter Verses passage right now.  These verses keep coming up right when I need them   I am very thankful for His sovereignty.

1 comment:

KathyB said...

Such good thoughts! I just reminded a widow friend yesterday that God has promised to be your husband to the widows. That is his promise to us but we on the other hand need to spend some time getting to know this “new husband.“ And develop a closer relationship with him. That is when He dries the tears and we feel His presence. Wish you folks could come down and visit me. I’d share with you how God brought us through three different times similar to yours, just not quite as long. Later we saw evidence of his blessing each step of the way. That gave us the testimony we had for years afterwards.