2.01.2019

Four Months and a week and a half.

The last four months have been the most challenging time in my life so far. 
We very much appreciate the prayers and support from so many people. 
I’ve written several blog posts and many personal journal entries during this time. 

The following quote from today’s New Morning Mercies has proven true over and over again.  “In grace, he leads you where you didn’t plan to go in order to produce in you what you couldn’t achieve on your own.”




The big thing that has made this time so challenging has been processing through some of the details and reasons for two ministry transitions in a little over a year. While both were mutual, neither was easy, especially as it relates to reflecting upon my personal shortcomings and differing ministry philosophies.  
I have been struggling with how these shortcomings and differences would impact future ministry opportunities. 

After 
- much praying and journaling (see 01.01.19 post), 
- what seems like walking miles of the rows of car parts at my current job, In On Time Logistics, 
- talking (personally and online) with friends and mentors, 
- getting connected with a great church family at Trinity Baptist Church (see 01,31.19),
- continuing with a consistent devotion plan when I oftentimes didn’t want to,
- taking some big steps to limit social media usage (see 02.17.19 post), and
- seeking counseling through a biblical counseling center, 

I have begun to get a clearer sense of direction. 
Through both transitions, I have learned some valuable lessons about myself and ministry.

We are still not sure what God has next for us but we also are sure that God is the Great Provider and that he has given me a desire to pastor his people.  
I also believe others have confirmed this.

Please pray for us as we seek God‘s will and direction for the future as it relates to ministry or whatever He has for us.  
We don't know where God is leading or what He has for us but we do know He is there.

Pray also that we would, through his strength, continue to glorify God in our current circumstances.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Matt and I have been praying for you. We really appreciated your heart for God and people so much. You both are made for ministry. My transition has been almost two years now. I'm on the other side and very hopeful and happily serving God and loving people once again. I will continue to pray for God to help you through this time and bring you to His special place He has for you

KathyB said...

Denny didn’t get contracts renewed at two different Christian ministry jobs. At the time we were devastated but when he would be in tears I could be strong and when I was in tears God gave him strength to encourage me. In both cases It took time but God gave us much better positions of ministry. He eventually took us back to public school jobs which we didn’t understand until we reached retirement and realized we had needed those finances and that was the way God has provided. Meanwhile I still have contact with unsaved students from that time. They are still reaching out and I am still having opportunity to share God’s love. I know my relationship with God is so much deeper because of those trials and mysteries. Faith is such an exercise but has such rewarding benefits as we walk each day one step closer to Him. If there were no other benefits, the way it instilled life responses in our children, it was worth it! Major prayers going your way today!