12.21.2018

2018



2018!  This has been quite a year.  Not at all what I thought it would be.

This past week at my new job, In On Time Logistics, we had our monthly staff lunch - Chinese food.  While I don't put any stock in fortune cookies, I couldn't help but smile big in a roomful of new co-workers when I read the slip of paper in my cook.  "Your present plans are going to succeed."
The last couple of months have been so different than anything I could have planned.

At the same time, we have been so blessed by God through so many different people in so man different ways.  Transportation, work, schooling, and housing have been provided in amazing ways.  People from Emmanuel Baptist Church, West Cannon Baptist Church, Northpointe Christian School, long-time friends, and people we don't even know have been blessing to us.

I would not choose to go through a year and a half like this.  At the same time, it has been amazing to see how God continues to provide.  Not always how I want it to happen and sometimes at a later time than I would have liked.


As 2018 comes to an end I am very much looking forward to not merely 2019 but more so whatever God has for us.

Over the last several months a couple of books have been challenging and helpful.
Suffering by Paul Tripp.  This book is filled with great truths to remember about suffering like "When you feel abandoned, you must preach to yourself the gospel of the boundless, eternal and unshakable love of God."
How to Lead When You're Not In Charge by Clay Scroggins.   Some good reminders about leadership.  "Leadership is not simply a matter of authority.  Leadership is about influence."
Didn't See That Coming by Carey Niewhouf.  "If you want to beat emptiness, find a mission that is bigger than you."  
As always these books and every book need to be read with the truth of scripture as the ultimate authority.

Here are some prayer items.
  • Some specific praises
    • I started a new job at In On Time Logistics.
    • We have our current lease agreement through the middle of June.
    • We have connected with a great church - Trinity Baptist Church
  • Some specific prayer requests
    • Wisdom in finding long term employment for me.
      • Ministry?  I am still processing through this especially as it relates to two ministry transitions in the last year and a half.
      • Teaching?  I have begun preparation for taking the MTTC (Michigan Test for Teacher Certification) for Mathematics.
Thank you to those of you who have been prayed for and encouraged us in so many different ways this year.

I am planning to post one more time before the end of the year about some specific praises from 2018.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Sorry I missed you this morning! I saw you across the hall, but had babies to check in! Love you all! We continue to pray for you! Happy Birthday.