2.01.2018

Forfeiture: Observations from Philippians 3:7-9

This is the 2nd of 4 Forfeiture posts.  
Part 1 is HERE
Part 3 is HERE

In One to One Bible Reading, David Helm provides some basic questions to ask when reading the Bible.
There are four sets of questions:  Context, Observation, Meaning and Application.
There are a couple of questions in each set.

Here are the Observation questions.
  • Are there any major sub-sections or breaks in the text? 
  • Are there key connecting words (for, therefore, but, because) that indicate the logical flow of the passage? 
  • What is the main point or points? What supporting points does the author make?
  • What surprises are there in the flow of the argument
These questions are helpful when studying the Epistles.  If you want to see the rest of the questions, click HERE


Philippians 3:7-9 is filled with some really important, really big questions.

whatever gain I had, 
I counted as loss for the sake of Christ"

I count everything as loss 
because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord

suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, 
in order that I may gain Christ"

Then verse 9 contrast the difference between 
my own righteousness and God's righteousness

"A righteousness of my own" comes from the Law.
It is based on my effort, my works of the flesh.
It is not true righteousness.
The righteousness from God is faith in the work of another.
Jesus Christ.



In our digital age, it is very easy to run to commentaries and other resources before you take adequate time in the text making observance.

For more about the Fighter Verses go to www.drodgersjr.com/p/fighter-verses.html

No comments: