2.04.2018

Forfeiture: Application

This is the 4th of 4 Forfeiture posts.  
Part 1 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE
Part 3 is HERE

In the previous Forfeiture post, I used a couple of Paul Tripp quotes
Don't look horizontally for what can only be found vertically.
In his explanation of this quote Tripp writes, "
Don't allow yourself to be seduced into believing that life can be found in the people, possessions, situations, locations and experiences of everyday life.  Remember, the role of created things is not to give you life, but to point you to the One who is the Way, the Truth and Life. Refuse to try to satisfy your heart with things that will never offer you the satisfaction that you seek." (1)
Focus on the RIGHT thing - Jesus!
I want to plead with you to remember that God is trustworthy and that Jesus needs to be treasured.
I want to plead with you to get into your Bibles.
We are providing the Fighter Verses as a resource to help you treasure Christ and fight sin. 
If you don’t use this specific resource used something to be systematic in your reading, memorizing and meditating on God’s truth.
I want to plead with you to prayerfully consider why you do the things you do.
            Think about this saying:
I do what I do because I want what I want.
Throughout the month of February, there are going to be Bible-based resources made available for you to think about your motives.
Each small group leader is going to receive a copy of this book Motives by Edward Welch to help your group think about why you do what you do as a group and as individuals.
Two quotes from this booklet that struck me were:
Parents should care about WHAT children do and the WHY.
            Public actions tell one story.  Private intentions can often tell another.
There are going to be resources for individual and group Bible studies to help you grow.
As we go into February and a new fiscal year it is important for us to remember why we as a church do what we do.
I want to be found in Christ and as I pastor/leader of this church I urge you to treasure Christ and find your hope in Him.

For more about the Fighter Verses go to www.drodgersjr.com/p/fighter-verses.html

No comments: