11.12.2015

Elementary Chapel, The Talk, Self-Control and Humility



What I shared @ ECS chapel on September 10 and November 12.  I posted this on our www.ekidzministry.com site as a parent resource.


I have had the opportunity to speak in chapel twice this year and have used this times to speak about two of the character qualities in the book Time for the Talk.

Zollos writes that the talk is not a specific one time conversation you have with your son.  It is  "a process that takes many years and can be profoundly rewarding." 

The book lists 6 character qualities that need to be clarified so you can develop an open discipleship relationship with your son.
Hopefully these definitions can help you help your child.

At the bottom of this post is the Psalm 34:10 song we sang.

This blog post and previous post  are designed to help parents develop a discipleship relationship with their sons and prepare for the talk.

On September 10th I spoke at the ECS elementary chapel.  
My main point was self control.
The verses used were 1 Peter 5:8; Proverbs 25:28; Galatians 5:22, 23

To pursue self control means to live according to the Spirit of God, choosing to glorify God with our lives and deny the sinful nature when tempted to do otherwise.

The big idea was "My life is not my own"
Self-control:  I do what is right even though I don’t feel like it.

Today, November 12th, I spoke again
My main point was humility.
The verses used were Psalm 34:10; 2 Corinthians 8:9; Ephesians 2:4 - 5.

To pursue humility means choosing to accept the fact that your knowledge and abilities are limited and in light of that, you are regularly seeking help and graciously receiving advice and correction.

This idea of humility was connected with this month's theme of thoroughness ("I complete the job all the way.").

To get the job done, we all need help.



No comments: